Saturday 14 March 2015

External sources of Happiness

Many people focus on external elements when it comes to finding happiness. Some people think that if they only had that house, that boyfriend, that job, they would be happy. It’s not true. Happiness does not come from outside, it is found within.

According to the research done by Sonja Lyubomirsky in her book The How of Happiness, we all have a set point of happiness, a default state if you wish. External circumstances and life events cause this state to increase or decrease but it is only temporary. We seem to settle back to our former happiness level. I have encountered, and I’m sure you have too, those people who seem to dampen everything. There are also those optimists who seem to bounce back from difficult life circumstances so quickly and effortlessly. I’m most definitely an optimist and closer to the second type. I tend to think that every situation, good or bad, has a lesson if you look hard enough.

I have found in the last few years, as my health declined, that my mood was less optimistic and happy. I thought it was being the mother of small children and only recently did I realise that might not be the case. Some of the symptoms of Graves’ disease are anxiety and depression. As a child I was referred to as ‘highly strung’, a term which I haven’t heard used in a while but I've always been quite anxious. So I just thought I was stressed. The good news is that once I’m well, I can return to my previous state of optimisim.

My youngest has been sleeping well for a while, aside from the odd nightmare or not being well. I realised when I saw other mothers with three children (I only have two) seeming to cope well. Perhaps they were faking it but I couldn't help wonder that I didn't seem to be coping as well. Only recently, have I realised that it is a combination of things that has caused my health decline.  The primary reason was that I was doing work I didn't enjoy for a really long time, swimming against the current. I also had no opportunity to replenish lost energy during the day. Being a mother to small children leaves little opportunity to care for yourself.

I've learned that I have to put aside time for recovery in the day, even once I’m well. Sometimes I even have to fight for it, which is not so easy in my current condition and being a conflict-avoider and a people-pleaser. If I don’t stand my ground, however, I’ll be this sick forever and possibly worse.


This week I completely overdid it - too many meetings and appointments. Some of them were important as they were for handing over my work to others so that I can recover properly. Now I’m facing the consequences of pushing too hard in that I have a bad cold. My immune system is really weak and I am highly susceptible to the slightest virus. It is a very delicate balancing act at the moment. This week I also started exercising again – just three walks. I think that, in combination with the meetings, has set me back. 

I find it enormously frustrating not being able to do what other people can do. I have to budget my energy. I plan ahead to make sure I only have one or two outings a day and I save my energy for that. But that makes it difficult for people to understand how much I’m struggling. They see the few strong hours of my day. My family sees me sleeping on my bed in recovery for hours afterwards.

I’m aware that happiness is not found outside me. I know that I have to work hard to create a life that I want. My family is happy and wonderful, I love my home and my friends. I need to single-mindedly focus on getting well and attack it like a project so that I can apply energy to my new career path and gain the fulfilment that lies ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Passengers on the journey

Passengers on the journey